Hoisin Barbecue SauceSteven Raichlen
Hoisin Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: Makes 1 1/4 cups
- 3/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine, sake, or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced scallion white
Step 1: Combine the hoisin sauce, rice wine, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, cilantro, ginger, and scallion in a saucepan and gently simmer over medium-low heat until thickened and richly flavored, 4 to 6 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent scorching.
Step 2: Let the sauce cool to room temperature before serving.
This sauce goes with Pork Belly Steamed Buns.