Mediterranean SalsaSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Makes about 1-1/2 cups
- 2 large ripe red tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced hothouse cucumber (see Note)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 16 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons small brined capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/4 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or more to taste)
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Directions: In a small mixing bowl, gently mix (a rubber spatula works well for this) the tomato, onion, cucumber, garlic, olives, and capers. Stir in the tarragon, olive oil, and lemon juice. Add salt (remember, the capers and olives are salty, so you may not have to add much) and pepper to taste.
Note: An English cucumber, the seedless variety that usually comes shrink-wrapped in plastic, is the preferred cucumber. If you can only find salad cucumbers, peel and seed them before dicing.