Episode 108: Hog Wild
Mustard Barbecue SauceSteven Raichlen
Mustard Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: Makes about 3 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot sauce (preferably Crystal), or to taste
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Step 1: Melt the butter in a heavy, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown, 3 minutes.
Step 2: Stir in the mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, water, and hot sauce. Simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 6 to 10 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Note: In the unlikely case you have any mustard sauce left, store it in a clean jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.