Episode 212: The Big Smoke
Vinegar SauceSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Makes 3 cups (enough for pork, slaw, and serving)
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (like Crystal)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or to taste)
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt (kosher or sea), or to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Step 1: Combine the vinegar, water, hot sauce, sugar, salt, hot red pepper flakes, and pepper in a bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Correct the seasoning, adding sugar or salt to taste: the sauce should be piquant but not too sour.
Step 2: Set aside 1 cup sauce for the Vinegar Slaw. Save 1 or so cups for the pork and serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Use this sauce with the Smoked Suckling Pig recipe.