Ready, Set, Smoke! Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke Coming to a PBS Station Near You
Excited? That doesn’t begin to express the emotion. After years of planning and months of shooting and editing, my new TV show, Project Smoke, launches on Saturday, June 27 (and in some cities July 4th weekend or later this summer). Our mission: to do for smoking what Primal Grill did for grilling.
The 13-week series focuses on traditional and cutting-edge smoking techniques. New twists on the iconic smoked foods, such as Texas brisket, Carolina pulled pork, and Scandinavian smoked salmon. Dishes you would never dream you could smoke, from cocktails to dessert. Each show runs 30 minutes.
So what makes Project Smoke different than my previous shows?
- Unique content: This will be the first-ever how-to TV show to focus exclusively on smoking. Hot smoking. Cold smoking. Smoke-roasting. Rotisserie smoking. Smoking with wood, spices, herbs, and hay (really).
- Epic food: The traditional smoked foods you hunger for, like smoke-roasted prime rib, Jamaican jerk chicken, barbecued pork belly, kippered salmon, smokehouse ham, and made-from-scratch bacon and pastrami. Plus dishes that redefine your notion of smoking, from smoky Manhattans to smoked cheesecake.
- An awesome collection of smokers: stick burners, upright barrel smokers, ceramic cookers, electric smokers, charcoal- and wood-burning grills, plus stovetop smokers and handheld smoking devices.
- A stunning new location: in Arizona’s Sonoran Desert, where we brought in smokers from around North America and recipes from around the world.
- A new ethic: with a strong emphasis on grass-fed beef, heritage pork, organic poultry and produce, and wild seafood. We believe that what your food eats and how it’s raised matters as much as how it’s smoked.
- Unique behind-the-scenes footage in each episode—from our field kitchen to the control room—to show you how we put Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke together.
Smoking is the fastest growing segment of the American grill and barbecue industry. It’s about to get even hotter with Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke. USA Today summed it up perfectly: “Where there’s smoke, there’s Steven Raichlen.”
To find out when the series will air in your area, contact your local station or visit the PBS Station Finder.
And now we need YOUR help. Please tell your friends and family about Project Smoke. Contact your local PBS station and if they haven’t already scheduled the show, urge them to carry it.
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television in association with Barbacoa, Inc. and Resolution Pictures, and is distributed by American Public Television.
Get one of the recipes from Project Smoke:
Smoke-Roasted Chicken with Horseradish Dip