Updated as of: May 24, 2022
Information We Collect and Receive
In order for us to (i) provide you with the services, functionalities, and products offered via our Website (collectively, “Services”), (ii) engage in troubleshooting activities, (iii) respond to your inquiries, and (iv) improve upon the Website performance, safety and security, we may collect and process some or all of the following types of information about you through the means discussed below. Please note, we may need certain types of information so that we can provide certain Services offered on the Website to you. If you do not provide us with such information, you may no longer be able to access or use certain Services on the Website.
- User-provided Personal Information. Information that could be directly associated with you, or used to contact or identify you, without the aid of additional information, including, without limitation, information you provide us when you create an account or correspond with us in connection with information requests or other communications initiated by you in regard to our Services, such as your name, physical address, email address and/or telephone number (collectively, “Personal Information”).
- Usage Information Automatically Collected. Information that is not Personal Information, but that relates to your usage of the Website or that is necessary for the proper functioning or improvement of the Website, including: (i) times and dates and the extent of your usage of the Website; (ii) time zone, language, screen resolution, and other usage preferences you select when using the Website; (iii) device keyboard settings; (iv) content you view, follow, and otherwise interact with; (v) usage history such as areas and pages within the Website that you access or use and/or which buttons in the Website you click on; (vi) search terms you type in on the Website; (vii) the URL or advertisement that may have referred you to the Website; (viii) the search terms you entered into a search engine that may have led you to the Website; (ix) the mobile platform or service provider you use, and (x) other device and Website access information such as your browser type, operating system, IP address, referring/exit pages, and other unique device identifiers, as well as your push notification token (collectively, “Usage Information”).
- Third-Party Information. SRD also provides links to online bookstores and other retailers who may collect information from users. Please review the privacy policies of the applicable websites to see how your information may be collected and treated by third parties. We maintain a list of our third-party bookstore affiliates and links to their privacy policies here:
We will update this list as commercially practicable.
While certain types of information described above, such as Usage Information, are generally non-identifying on a standalone basis, we may, in certain instances, combine this information with other information collected on the Website. If we ever combine non-identifying information with Personal Information or other information that enables you to be identified, we will treat such combined information as Personal Information.
We do not solicit or maintain personal data on any EU residents or companies. Our Website is controlled and operated from the United States and our Services are intended only for users in the United States. By using our Website and Services, you agree and acknowledge that our Website is hosted in the United States and that information collected through the Website (including Personal Information) will be stored and processed in the United States. By using our Website and Services, you consent to such transfer and the application of the laws of the United States, which may not be as protective or comprehensive as those that exist in your home jurisdiction or place of domicile.
Our Website and Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to utilize our Services, including, but not limited to, those that may be offered through our Website. If we learn that an individual is under 13 and has submitted Personal Information to us, we will delete such Personal Information promptly.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
What is a Cookie?
What Cookies do we use?
A more detailed list of the cookies we currently, or in the future may, use and how we use, or may use, them are as follows:
- Analytics and Research: We use certain cookies and other technologies to help us understand, improve, and research features and content on our Website.
- Performance: We use performance cookies to help us route traffic between servers and understand how our Website is performing so we can provide users with the best experience possible. This may include the use of third-party affiliate cookies to gather data about purchases made on our Website in connection with one of our partners.
- Website Features and Services: We use certain cookies to provide greater functionality to our Website and help us deliver our Services.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies may be placed on our Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp. You may also visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/# to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at http://www.aboutads.info/. to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
In addition to the above, the barbecuebible.com uses Mediavine to manage all third-party advertising on our Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit our Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. Our Website may collect IP addresses and location information to serve personalized ads and pass it to Mediavine. To view more information about Mediavine’s privacy practices, please visit https://www.mediavine.com/privacy-policy/.
Our Website may contain electronic images known as Web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel gifs) and such Web beacons are sometimes used along with cookies to compile aggregated statistics to analyze how our Website is used. We may use third parties to gather information about how you and others use our Website. For example, we will know how many users access a specific page and which Website content they clicked on. We use this aggregated information to understand and optimize how our Website is used.
Do Not Track Requests
Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies, which may depend on the type of cookie, and browsers can be set to reject browser cookies. However, blocking or deleting cookies may prevent you from using most of our Website, or certain features, functionalities and/or services contained therein.
Some browsers have settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to websites and online service you visit. These features are not all uniform and there is no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means in this context. Like many websites and online services, we do not alter our practices when we receive a “Do Not Track” signal from a user’s browser. Note that certain options you select are browser- and device-specific. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we may collect about/from you to:
- Identify you and potentially improve and/or customize our Website
- Send email announcements of events to users who registered for similar events and to alert users of offers that we believe may interest them
- Address inquiries and respond to your requests for information, questions and comments, including communications initiated by you via our Website contact forms
Obtain your views of our Services
- Identify trends, conduct data analysis and determine the effectiveness of our marketing and promotions and other service offerings
- We may also use your Personal Information to serve you targeted advertising and promote the Website and our Services on other websites
- Maintain security
- Other purposes that we believe are necessary to protect our rights and the rights of others, or as otherwise described to you at the time of collection
We may also use certain collected information on an aggregated and/or anonymized basis in order to conduct market research, engage in project planning, for targeted advertising purposes, for troubleshooting purposes, to help detect and protect against error, fraud or other criminal activity.
We may also ask for your consent to process your Personal Information for a specific purpose that we communicate to you. When you consent to our processing your Personal Information for a specified purpose, you may withdraw your consent at any time, and we will stop processing of your data for that purpose.
How We Share the Information We Collect
Information We May Share with Third Parties
- We may use third parties to outsource one or more aspects of our business and/or Website operations (e.g., third-party administrators of contents and sweepstakes, or other third parties to assist with data processing, web analytics, maintenance and security execution, and clearing services), in which case, we may provide such third parties with, or give such third parties access to, your Personal Information in connection with the performance of such activities. Such third parties will only use your Personal Information to the extent necessary to perform their functions and will be contractually bound to process your Personal Information only on our behalf and in compliance with our requests.
- We also work with (or may in the future work with) network advertisers, ad agencies, analytics service providers, and other vendors to provide them with limited Personal Information, as well as other information regarding traffic on our Website, including pages viewed, content interacted with, and actions taken by individuals when visiting our Website to: (a) serve advertisements on other web sites, within mobile apps and elsewhere online; and (b) provide us with information regarding the use of our Website and the effectiveness of our advertisements and other marketing campaigns. Our service providers may collect certain information about your visits to, and activity on, our Website as well as other websites or services, they may set and access their own tracking technologies on your device (including cookies and web beacons). Some of these parties may collect Personal Information when you visit our Website or other online websites and services. We may also share certain non-Personal Information with these parties, in connection with the services they provide to us.
- In the event that we undergo re-organization, are sold to or merged with a third-party, or sell all or substantially all of our assets, any Personal Information we hold about you may be transferred to that re-organized entity or third-party in compliance with applicable law.
- In the unlikely event of our bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, receivership, or assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the application of laws or equitable principles affecting creditors’ rights generally, we may not be able to control how your Personal Information is treated, transferred, or used.
- We will also share your information with any member, subsidiary, parent or affiliate of our corporate group, only for the purposes set out above, to assist in the improvement and optimization of our Website, in order to prevent illegal uses, increase user numbers, development, engineering and analysis of information or for our internal business purposes.
- In addition to the foregoing, we also reserve the right, and you hereby authorize us, to share or disclose (including, without limitation, to law enforcement agencies, public authorities, governmental departments, or other similar organizations) information we collect, including your Personal Information, and any other information, records or electronic communications of any kind, when we determine (in our sole discretion), that the disclosure of such information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against you if:
- you are interfering with our or any third-party’s rights or property; and/or
- you are violating any applicable law, rule or regulation.
- We also reserve the right, and you hereby authorize us, to share or disclose (including, without limitation, to law enforcement agencies, public authorities, governmental departments, or other similar organizations) information we collect, including your Personal Information, and any other information, records or electronic communications of any kind, when we determine (in our sole discretion), that the disclosure of such information is necessary or required for/by:
- any applicable law, rule or regulation, including a subpoena or similar legal process or request/order;
- for purposes of public importance, to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate security, technical issues or fraud, or respond to a government request;
- responding to requests by/from governmental authorities in the event of any investigation, act of terrorism or instance of local, regional or national emergency; and/or
- to support any audit, or to comply with similar corporate governance functions.
Information that May be Publicly Accessible
SRD may obtain information from a user when a comment is posted on our Website by that user. Please note that any information that you post on the Website’s forums and blogs is available to the public, so please use caution when deciding what to post.
Email Notifications and Opt-Out
We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us, such as in response to a request for information. Additionally, SRD may choose, on occasion, to include third-party offers in our communications with you. We maintain appropriate and reasonable safeguards to ensure the integrity, security, and privacy of the information in our possession.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Our Website may include links to other websites or services (collectively, “Third-Party Sites”), whose privacy practices may differ from those set forth herein. Such links are not an endorsement by SDR of those Third-Party Sites and/or the products or services they offer.
Use of our Website or Services may permit you to interact with social media platforms operated by a Third-Party Site. If you choose to interact with or share content or post information using a social media platform, that information may be publicly displayed, and the Third-Party Site may receive certain information about you and your use of our Website or Services. We may have access to information about you from a social media platform operated by a third-party. If you interact with a social media platform and you mention or comment about us, our Website, and/or our Services in your post on a social media platform, that social media platform may allow us to publish your post on our Website. In addition, we may receive information about you if a user on a social media platform gives us access to their profile and you are one of their connections, or information about you is otherwise accessible through that other user.
If you visit Third-Party Sites or submit Personal Information to any such Third-Party Sites, your visit and Personal Information is governed by their privacy policies.
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect your information, both during transmission and once we receive it, and to keep such information confidential (unless it is non-confidential by nature, for example, publicly-available information) and free from any unauthorized alteration. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, and the nature of security risks is constantly evolving, as are the technical and organizational industry standards relating to management of those risks. While we strive to keep current our security technology and will review, refine and upgrade our security technology as we deem appropriate based on new tools that may become available in the future, the complete and absolute security of any information collected, stored or used by us cannot therefore be guaranteed. In the unlikely event that an unauthorized third-party compromises our security measures, we will not be responsible for any damages directly or indirectly caused by an unauthorized third-party’s ability to view, use or disseminate such information. If you ever discover inaccuracies in our data or if your Personal Information changes, we urge you to notify us immediately.
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising (Ver 1.1)
The Website works with Mediavine to manage third-party interest-based advertising appearing on the Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at All About Cookies.
Without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website content and features. Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit our Site. In the event you opt-out, you will still see non-personalized advertisements on the Website.
The Website collects the following data using a cookie when serving personalized ads:
- IP Address
- Operating System type
- Operating System version
- Device Type
- Language of the website
- Web browser type
- Email (in hashed form)
Mediavine Partners (companies listed below with whom Mediavine shares data) may also use this data to link to other end user information the partner has independently collected to deliver targeted advertisements. Mediavine Partners may also separately collect data about end users from other sources, such as advertising IDs or pixels, and link that data to data collected from Mediavine publishers in order to provide interest-based advertising across your online experience, including devices, browsers and apps. This data includes usage data, cookie information, device information, information about interactions between users and advertisements and websites, geolocation data, traffic data, and information about a visitor’s referral source to a particular website. Mediavine Partners may also create unique IDs to create audience segments, which are used to provide targeted advertising.
If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit National Advertising Initiative opt out page. You may also visit Digital Advertising Alliance website and Network Advertising Initiative website to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices app to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
For specific information about Mediavine Partners, the data each collects and their data collection and privacy policies, please visit Mediavine Partners.
Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions
We may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions through the Website (each of the foregoing offers, a “Promotion”) that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice, likeness or other indicia of persona in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, your Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion’s official rules, such as on a winner’s list.
California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-800-722-7202
Regular mail, postage pre-paid to:
Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc.
1746 Espanola Drive
Miami, FL 33133
Attn: Digital Department
All of the material published by Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc. is protected under copyright law. Written permission from the publisher is required if you wish to reproduce this material.
The Barbecue Bible logo, Barbecue University logo, and Planet Barbecue logo, as well as other logos are registered trademarks and may not be used without prior approval from Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc.. If you wish to use any of the trademarked logos, please direct a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Website and Services are not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly allow anyone under the age of 13 to utilize our Services, including, but not limited to, those that may be offered through our Website.
Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc. provides excerpts of selected books (1,000 average word count) for promotion on the Web with prior approval. For permission, Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc. does ask that an email notification that includes the URL where the excerpt is being used be sent to email@example.com. Use of these excerpts may be made only for purposes of promoting the books, with no changes, editing, or additions whatsoever. The following statement, which is already included on all the excerpts posted on the site, must be included at the end of the selected excerpt taken from the Web site: Copyright © year of publication by author name. All rights reserved.
Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc. provides downloadable photos of Steven Raichlen, his book covers, and product labels. Permission is granted to use these photos for promotional purposes as long as there are no alterations made to the photograph and credit is prominently given to the photographer, whose name can usually be found at the bottom of the image. If there is no credit for a photographer, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to locate that information for you. If you need a high-quality photo, please send us a request at to email@example.com.
Jacket images for Steven Raichlen Digital, Inc. titles may be used for promoting Raichlen books without prior permission, as long as no alterations are made.