Barbecued OystersSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Makes 24
- Equipment: Best of Barbecue Shellfish Rack
- 24 oysters in the shell
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce (I’m partial to Best of Barbecue Chipotle Molasses Barbecue Sauce)
- 8 ounces pepper Jack cheese, coarsely grated
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue rub (I’m partial to Best of Barbecue All-Purpose Rub)
- A splash of your favorite hot sauce (optional)
Step 1: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium.
Step 2: Meanwhile, shuck the oysters using a shucking knife, taking care not to spill the juices. Discard the top shell and arrange the oysters in the shellfish rack. Top each with 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce, grated cheese, a sprinkle of barbecue rub, and a splash of hot sauce (if using).
Step 3: Place the rack with the oysters on the grill and lower the grill lid. Grill the oysters until just cooked and the cheese and sauce are melted and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes.
Use the Best of Barbecue Shellfish Rack.
Serve with these other appetizers for a New Year’s cocktail party hot off the grill.