Lemon-Sesame Asparagus RaftsSteven Raichlen
Pinning the asparagus stalks into rafts looks cool as all get out and makes them easy to grill and turn.
Lemon-Sesame Asparagus Rafts
- Yield: 4 servings
- Method: Direct Grilling
- Equipment: toothpicks or slender bamboo skewers
For the asparagus:
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
For the rub:
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon each coarse salt and coarsely ground black pepper
Step 1: Snap the fibrous ends off the asparagus stalks. Lay 4 or 5 stalks side by side and pin them crosswise at the top and bottom to make rafts. Brush the rafts on both sides with sesame oil.
Step 2: Combine the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl and mix well. Sprinkle the asparagus rafts on both sides with rub.
Step 3: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
Step 4: Grill the asparagus until tender and browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Step 5: Serve at once, warning everyone to remove the toothpicks before eating.