5-4-3-2-1 Asian Barbecue RubSteven Raichlen
5-4-3-2-1 Asian Barbecue Rub
- Yield: Makes about 1 cup
- 5 tablespoons turbinado sugar or dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
Step 1: Place the sugar, salt, pepper, five-spice powder, and onion powder in a bowl and mix, breaking up any lumps in the brown sugar with your fingers. This will give you more rub than you need for two racks of spareribs (or four racks of baby backs).
Step 2: Store any excess in a sealed jar away from heat and light; it will keep for several weeks.
This rub goes with Pork Belly Steamed Buns.