Asian Pear Dipping SauceSteven Raichlen
This sauce reflects the Korean penchant for combining sweet, salty, and nutty flavors in a single dish. Serve it with any Korean meat dish.
Asian Pear Dipping Sauce
- Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sake or dry sherry
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 small Asian pear, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
Step 1: Combine the soy sauce, sake, sugar, pear, scallions, onion, and sesame seeds in a medium-size bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed and the sugar dissolves.
Step 2: Divide the sauce among as many small bowls as there are people, so each person has his own for dipping, and serve at once.
Serve with Bool Kogi (Korean Sesame Grilled Beef).