Beef, Red Pepper, and Mushroom SkewersSteven Raichlen
Beef, Red Pepper, and Mushroom Skewers
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cilantro roots (about 1/2 tablespoon), minced (if available)
- 4 cloves garlic or 2 garlic scapes, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon flavorful hot red pepper, like New Mexico chile or Aleppo pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tri-tip beef roast (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch bits
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, halved or quartered (similar size as pepper and beef)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
Step 1: Using a mortar and pestle, crush the pepper, coriander, and cumin to a chunky powder. Add the cilantro roots, garlic, red pepper, and salt, and pound to a rough paste. Work in the oil and vinegar, mashing it all well together. Massage this mixture into the beef chunks and let it come to room temperature, covered. (Alternatively, you may prepare ahead to this point and chill until ready to proceed.)
Step 2: Prepare a medium-hot bed of hardwood coals.
Step 3: Thread meat and vegetables alternately on bamboo or metal skewers. Grill, turning to brown all sides.
Step 4: Slip off skewers and toss with chopped cilantro before serving.