Beef, Red Pepper, and Mushroom SkewersSteven Raichlen
Beef, Red Pepper, and Mushroom Skewers
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cilantro roots (about 1/2 tablespoon), minced (if available)
- 4 cloves garlic or 2 garlic scapes, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon flavorful hot red pepper, like New Mexico chile or Aleppo pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tri-tip beef roast (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in 1-inch bits
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, halved or quartered (similar size as pepper and beef)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
Step 1: Using a mortar and pestle, crush the pepper, coriander, and cumin to a chunky powder. Add the cilantro roots, garlic, red pepper, and salt, and pound to a rough paste. Work in the oil and vinegar, mashing it all well together. Massage this mixture into the beef chunks and let it come to room temperature, covered. (Alternatively, you may prepare ahead to this point and chill until ready to proceed.)
Step 2: Prepare a medium-hot bed of hardwood coals.
Step 3: Thread meat and vegetables alternately on bamboo or metal skewers. Grill, turning to brown all sides.
Step 4: Slip off skewers and toss with chopped cilantro before serving.
Find This Recipe
Cooking with live fire goes way beyond the barbecue grill. Rediscover the pleasures of a variety of unconventional techniques, from roasting pork on a spit to baking bread in ashes, searing fish on a griddle, roasting vegetables in a fireplace, making soup in a cast-iron pot, baking pizza in a wood-fired oven, cooking bacon on […]Buy Now ‣