Booze + Fruit GlazeSteven Raichlen
Booze + Fruit Glaze
- Yield: Makes 1-1/2 cups glaze
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 cup dark rum or Calvados
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Step 1: Place the cider, rum, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and hot red pepper flakes in a nonreactive saucepan. Boil over high heat until thick, syrupy, and reduced by half, about 10 minutes, whisking often. Whisk in the butter and salt and pepper to taste. (The glaze should be fruity and sweet, with just a hint of salt to balance the sugar.) Strain the glaze into a heatproof bowl. Use immediately or store in a clean jar in the refrigerator, where it will keep for at least a week.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.