Brisket-Stuffed Bakers (Baked Potatoes)Steven Raichlen
Bacon and baked potatoes are longstanding bedfellows. But spuds stuffed with smoked brisket? Well, it was only a matter of time before someone brought them together. Brisket makes these larger-than-life bakers beefy and smoky, with scallions and Gruyère cheese rising to a flavor crescendo. They may just be the most outrageous stuffed baked potatoes on Planet Barbecue.
Brisket-Stuffed Bakers (Baked Potatoes)
- Advance Prep: 15 minutes
- Grill Time: 1 1⁄2 hours
- Yield: Makes 8 halves, enough to serve 8 (or 4 really hungry people as a main course)
- Method: Indirect grilling
- Equipment: Grill; 2 hardwood chunks or 1 1⁄2 cups chips (if using the latter, soak in water to cover for 30 minutes, then drain); a vegetable brush; a bamboo or metal skewer (for testing doneness)
For the Potatoes
- Vegetable oil, for oiling the grill grate
- 4 jumbo baking potatoes (14 to 16 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or extra virgin olive oil, for brushing the skins
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Stuffing
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons butter, thinly sliced, for topping
- 1 bunch of scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise (set aside 3 tablespoons of the green parts for garnish)
- 1 cup shredded or chopped barbecued brisket
- 3 cups (12 ounces) coarsely grated cave-aged Gruyère or white cheddar
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika), for sprinkling
1: Set up your grill for indirect grilling and heat to medium-high. Brush or scrape the grill grate clean and oil it well.
2: Scrub the potatoes thoroughly with a vegetable brush. Rinse well and blot dry with paper towels. Prick the skin of each potato all over 4 to 6 times with a fork. (This vents the potatoes and prevents them from exploding from steam buildup.) Brush the potatoes on all sides with melted butter and season very generously with salt and pepper.
3: Place the potatoes on the grill over the drip pan away from the heat. Toss the wood chips on the coals or, if using a gas grill, place in the smoker box. Cover the grill. Smoke- roast the potatoes until tender, about 1 hour. To test for doneness, pierce a potato through the top with a skewer. It should pierce easily. Transfer the potatoes to a cutting board and let cool slightly (cool enough to handle but still hot).
4: Meanwhile, make the stuffing: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter or heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
5: Cut each cooked potato in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape out most of the potato flesh, leaving a 1⁄4-inch- thick wall next to the skin. Very roughly chop the scooped potato flesh and place it in the saucepan with the scallions. Gently stir in the brisket, 2 cups of the grated cheese, the sour cream, and salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be highly seasoned. Stir as little as possible to leave some texture to the potatoes.
6: Scoop the potato mixture back into the potato skins, mounding it in the center of each. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the potatoes and top with the 2 tablespoons thinly sliced butter. Sprinkle each stuffed potato with pimentón. The potatoes can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead to this stage, covered with plastic wrap, and refrigerated.
7: Just before serving, reheat the potatoes on your grill (still set up for indirect grilling) until the stuffing is browned and bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes, or as needed. Sprinkle with the reserved scallion greens and dig in!
Find This Recipe
It all starts with the big kahuna: an authentic Texas barbecued brisket, aka 18 pounds of smoky, fatty, proteinaceous awesomeness. And from this revelation of pure beefy goodness comes burnt ends. Corned beef. Ropa Vieja. Bollito Misto. Pho . . . and slowly it dawns on you: Brisket must be the tastiest, most versatile, and […]Buy Now ‣