Campfire Pot Roast RecipeSteven Raichlen
Indulge in the savory delight of Campfire Pot Roast cooked to perfection in a Petromax Dutch Oven. Chuck roast, veggies, and aromatic herbs slow-cooked over a charming campfire. A culinary adventure in every bite.
Campfire Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 Chuck Roast
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Onions
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- 1 cup of Red Wine
- Beef Stock
1. Prepare the Dutch Oven Table:
- Set up the Dutch Oven Table on a heat-resistant surface. Its sturdy legs can support up to 100Kg (220lbs).
- Attach the tall windbreak to conserve charcoal and heat.
- Use the practical hangers on the front and side to keep your grilling tools handy.
2. Light the Charcoal: Start by lighting a chimney starter full of briquettes until they turn gray and hot.
3. Season the Chuck Roast: Season the chuck roast generously with Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
4. Prepare the Ingredients:
- Quarter the onions.
- Peel and wash the carrots and potatoes.
- Create a bundle of fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Have red wine and beef stock ready for deglazing and flavor.
5. Brown the Chuck Roast:
6. Cook the Onions : In the same Dutch oven, cook the onions until they become translucent.
7. Deglaze with Red Wine: Pour in the red wine and let it reduce in the Dutch oven.
8. Assemble the Pot Roast:
- Return the chuck roast to the Dutch oven.
- Add the prepared carrots, potatoes, herb bundle, and beef stock.
- Place the Dutch oven lid on top.
9. Maintain Even Heat: Add more briquettes on top of the Dutch oven to maintain even heat.
10. Slow Cook: Allow the pot roast to cook for just over three hours until the meat is tender and flavorful.
11. Reduce the Liquid:
- Remove the chuck roast, onions, potatoes, and carrots from the Dutch oven.
- Let the liquid in the Dutch oven reduce for about 15 minutes.
12. Serve: Serve the chuck roast with the vegetables and the delicious concentrated broth.