Catalan Grilled Tomato BreadSteven Raichlen
Catalan Grilled Tomato Bread
- Active Prep: 5 minutes
- Yield: Makes 4 slices; can be multiplied as desired
- Method: Direct grilling
- 1 head of garlic, sliced in half crosswise
- 4 to 6 ripe tomatoes, preferably colorful heirlooms, cut in half crosswise
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 4 slices of your favorite artisanal bread (each slice should be 6 to 8 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 3/4-inch-thick)
Step 1: Place the halves, tomatoes, and salt and pepper in small bowls or on a plate; serve the olive oil in a bottle, small pitcher, or cruet.
Step 2: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high. Rub the cut halves of the garlic with the olive oil. Grill for several minutes. Grill the bread for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
Step 3: Transfer the toasted bread slices to napkins. Have each eater rub the hot bread first with garlic cloves, then tomato, mashing the latter into the bread to cover it with tomato pulp. Discard the tomato skins. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. It’s that simple.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 1:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2018 Barbacoa, Inc.