Cherry-Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Cherry Barbecue SauceSteven Raichlen
Cherry-Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: Makes 2 racks, serving 3 to 4
- Method: Smoking
- Equipment: 3 cups oak chips or chunks, soaked in water for 30 minutes, then drained; rib rack (optional)
- 2 racks baby back ribs (each 2 to 2-1/2 pounds), membrane removed
For the rub:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cherry syrup (see Note below)
- Cherry Barbecue Sauce
Step 1: Set up your smoker according to the manufacturer’s instructions and preheat to 225 degrees.
Step 2: Arrange the ribs on a rimmed baking sheet.
Step 3: Make the rub: Combine the brown sugar, paprika, pimentón, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, fennel seed, and cayenne in a small bowl and stir to mix, breaking up any lumps in the brown sugar with your fingers.
Step 4: Sprinkle the rub on the ribs on both sides, rubbing the mixture into the meat.
Step 5: Arrange the ribs in the smoker. (If not using a rib rack, place them bone-side down.) Add half the wood chips to the firebox. Smoke the ribs until almost tender, 3 hours, adding the remaining wood chips after 1 hour. Replenish the coals as needed.
Step 6: Brush the racks of ribs on both sides with cherry syrup. Continue smoking the ribs until they are very tender (you should be able to pull the individual ribs apart easily with your fingers), 1 hour more, 4 hours in all. Baste the ribs twice during the last hour—the cherry syrup should cook to a sticky glaze.
Step 7: Brush each rack with cherry syrup one final time before serving. Serve the slabs whole, or cut in half or into individual bones.
Note: For cherry syrup, you want an imported brand, like Torani from Italy. Look for it at your local coffee house, gourmet shop, or online at Amazon.com.
Serve with Cherry Barbecue Sauce.