Chinese “Silver Paper” ChickenSteven Raichlen
We’re excited to partner with Reynolds Wrap® for this sponsored recipe.
Silver Paper Chicken (gee bow gai) is one of the glories of Chinese dim sum. Imagine moist chicken thighs blasted with fresh ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and other Asian flavorings. I love the way it tastes when wrapped in foil and grilled over high heat (hence the name “silver paper”).
And thanks to Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil, the chicken cooks to golden caramel sweetness, but lifts right off without the usual sticking. (Be sure to arrange the chicken on the dull, non-stick side of the foil when you assemble the packets.) With Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil, made in the U.S.A., cleanup is a breeze.
Chinese “Silver Paper” Chicken
- Active Prep: 15 minutes
- Grill Time: 8 to 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes plus 4 to 6 hours for marinating the chicken
- Yield: Serves 4 as an appetizer or light meal
- Method: Direct grilling in Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil
- Equipment: Eight 10-inch pieces Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil; tongs; rimmed sheet pan
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved (16 pieces)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine, sake, or sherry
- 1 tablespoon Asian-style sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (optional)
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1: Place the chicken in a bowl or sturdy resealable plastic bag.
2: Make the marinade: In a separate bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic, rice wine, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and five-spice powder, if using. Whisk until the sugar crystals dissolve. Pour over the chicken, ensuring every piece is coated with the marinade. Cover the bowl (or seal the bag) and refrigerate the chicken for 4 to 6 hours.
3: Assemble the foil packets: Tear off eight 10-inch pieces of Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. Arrange one piece on a flat surface with the long side parallel to you, dull side up so the chicken lifts right off after cooking. Lift two pieces of chicken out of the marinade and arrange in the center of the foil, overlapping slightly.
Top with 1 teaspoon of the marinade. Bring the long edges of the foil together. Fold twice. Next, fold the short edges twice to completely enclose the chicken. Repeat for the remaining packets. You should have 8 total. Transfer to a rimmed sheet pan (this makes transporting to and from the grill easier).
4: In the meantime, set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium-high (400 degrees).
5: Arrange the packets, starting with the seam sides up, on the grill grate. (Work in batches if your grill grate is not large enough to accommodate all eight at once.) Grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning with tongs, until the chicken is cooked through. The packets may puff with steam as they cook. Carefully open a packet to check for doneness, avoiding any escaping steam. Using tongs, transfer the hot packets to the rimmed sheet pan.
6: Carefully open the remaining packets. Scatter scallions on top of the chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve directly from the Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil packets.