Chipotle Molasses Barbecue SauceSteven Raichlen
Serve this Chipotle Molasses Barbecue Sauce with 3-2-1 Pork Shoulder.
Other Recipes from Episode 210: Shoulder On
- 3-2-1 Pork Shoulder
- Moroccan Lamb Shoulder with Tomatoes and Peppers
- Spit-Roasted Beef Shoulder Clod
Chipotle Molasses Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: Makes 3 cups
- 2 cups ketchup
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ¼ cup horseradish mustard or Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ cup rye whisky
- ¼ cup brown sugar (light or dark—your choice)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chili with can juices (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1: Combine the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and gently simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 15 to 20 minutes. Correct the seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and additional hot sauce and / sugar, as desired. Let the sauce cool to room temperature for serving. Store in clean jars away from heat or light. Refrigerated, the sauce will last for at least a week.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 2:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2019 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein.