Creamy Salsa VerdeSteven Raichlen
Creamy Salsa Verde
- Yield: Makes 1 cup
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and rough chopped (for a spicier sauce, leave the seeds in)
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts rough chopped
- 1 clove garlic, rough chopped
- 1 tablespoon ají amarillo paste, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons huacatay paste, or 6 fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann’s or Best Foods)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
Step 1: Place the cilantro, jalapeños, scallion, garlic, aji amarillo, and huacatay in a food processor (preferably fitted with a small bowl) and finely chop. Work in the mayonnaise, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste: the sauce should be highly seasoned.
Step 2: Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately, but try to serve it within 2 hours of making.
Try this with Peruvian Game Hens with Creamy Salsa Verde.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 1:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2018 Barbacoa, Inc.