Crispy Baked Bean Brisket TostadasSteven Raichlen
Crispy Baked Bean Brisket Tostadas
- Yield: Makes 4 tostadas
For the tostadas:
- 4 flour tortillas (8 inch)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or bacon fat
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions, plus 1/4 cup to finish the tostadas
For the topping:
- 1 can (16.5 ounces) baked beans
- 2 cups shredded brisket or sliced steak, cooked at a previous grill session
- 1 cup coarsely grated pepper Jack or white cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno chile, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream in a food-safe squirt bottle
- 1 tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Step 1: Set up your grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-high (400°F). Brush and oil the grill grate.
Step 2: Brush the tortillas on both sides with melted butter. Sprinkle on both sides with chopped scallion and place in the center of the grill away from the heat. Indirect grill the tortillas until lightly browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (Watch carefully so they don’t burn.)
Step 3: Transfer the tortillas to a wire rack to cool. Spread the baked beans on top of each tortilla. Sprinkle with pepper Jack cheese and jalapenos (if using). Return the tostadas to the grill away from the heat and indirect grill until the brisket is hot and the cheese is melted, 8 minutes.
Step 4: Place the tostadas on a platter. Squirt zigzags of sour cream over each and sprinkle with tomato, cilantro, and the remaining scallions. Yee ha!
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.