Marinades, Sauces, Rubs & Salsas
Eastern North Carolina-Style SauceSteven Raichlen
If American barbecue sauces had an extreme division, this mouth-puckering condiment—all vinegar and fire—would lead the pack.
Eastern North Carolina-Style Sauce
- Yield: 6 cups
- 5 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons salt, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Texas Pete
Step 1: Put the vinegar, salt, sugar, black pepper, hot red pepper flakes, and hot sauce in a large nonreactive bowl, add 1 cup of water, and whisk until the salt and sugar dissolve. Or, place the ingredients in a large jar and shake to mix.
Step 2: Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and/or hot red pepper flakes as necessary. The sauce can be refrigerated for several weeks. Bring it to room temperature before using.