Espresso Barbecue SauceSteven Raichlen
Use this sauce with BBQ Titans’ Brisket.
Espresso Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: Makes 3 cups
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brisket drippings or bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons freshly brewed espresso
Step 1: Place the ketchup, vinegars, soy sauce, garlic and onion powders, brown sugar, and brisket drippings in a heavy saucepan. Gradually bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thick and richly flavored, 10 minutes, whisking often.
Step 2: Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the espresso. Use right away or transfer to clean jars, cover, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate. The sauce will keep for several weeks.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.