Fire-Charred SalsaSteven Raichlen
Use this recipe on Real Deal Holyfield (Brisket Breakfast Taco).
- Yield: Makes 3 cups
- 2 large tomatoes, cut in half widthwise
- 2 large tomatillos, husked and cut in half widthwise (or more tomatoes)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
- 3 serrano chiles, cut in half lengthwise (for milder salsa remove the seeds)
- 1 habanero chile, cut in half lengthwise (for milder salsa remove the seeds)
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse sea salt
1: Set up your grill for direct grilling and heat to medium-high. Brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the vegetables, cut sides down, on the grate. Grill the veggies until just beginning to soften. Keep some crispness—they shouldn’t be cooked. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
2: Cut the veggies into 1-inch cubes and place in a food processor. Puree as coarsely or smoothly as you desire. Work in the lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste: the salsa should be highly seasoned.
3: Transfer the salsa to a serving bowl or jar. Serve at once, or jar and refrigerate—it will keep for several days.