Firecracker Corn Grilled with Tabasco ButterSteven Raichlen
Firecracker Corn Grilled with Tabasco Butter
- Yield: 4 ears (serves 4)
- Equipment: butcher’s string; aluminum foil folded in three like a business letter for a grill shield
- 4 ears of sweet corn
For the Tabasco butter:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick butter)
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons good-quality soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (the hotter the better)
Step 1: Prepare the corn: Strip back the husk, starting at the top of the ear of corn. The motion is like peeling a banana. Leave the husk attached at the stem end. Remove all the corn silk, then fold the husk back and over the stem to form a handle. Tie with butcher’s string.
Step 2: Make the sesame-soy butter: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the scallions cook until sizzling and fragrant, 3 minutes. Add the soy sauce and Tabasco sauce and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat.
Step 3: Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Arrange the corn on the grate with the foil grill shield under the husks. Grill until the kernels are handsomely browned, 8 to 12 minutes, turning periodically so the corn browns evenly. Baste the corn with the Tabasco butter as it cooks.
Step 4: Transfer the corn to a platter and drizzle with the remaining butter.