Fried Egg and Pastrami Bacon Breakfast SandwichSteven Raichlen
Fried Egg and Pastrami Bacon Breakfast Sandwich
- Active Prep: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1, but can be scaled up
- 1 large brioche or kaiser roll, sliced
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- One 1 1/2-ounce slice Swiss cheese
- 2 slices Planet Barbecue Thick-Cut Pastrami Bacon, halved crosswise
- 1 large egg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 slices luscious red or yellow tomato (optional)
- Small handful of mixed baby greens
1: Spread the cut sides of the roll with the butter. Heat a grill pan or large cast iron skillet on the stovetop, or set up your grill for direct grilling. Grill the roll, cut sides down, until lightly browned. Top the top half with the Swiss cheese and keep it warm, cheese side up.
2: Place the slices of bacon in a single layer in a cold heavy skillet and heat over medium heat. (Again, you can do this on your stovetop or grill.) Cook the bacon until it is crisp and browned and most of the fat has melted out (rendered), about 6 minutes, turning the bacon over with tongs once the first side is browned (about 3 minutes). Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Do not clean the pan.
3: Break the egg into a shallow cup or bowl. Heat the bacon fat in the pan to medium-high and fry the egg to your liking, 2 to 3 minutes for a runny yolk; longer if you prefer a firm yolk.
4: Assemble the sandwich: Place the bottom half of the roll on a work surface. Top with the fried egg, bacon, tomato slices (if using), and the greens. Place the top half of the roll on the sandwich and serve immediately.