Green SauceSteven Raichlen
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon ají amarillo paste
- 2 teaspoons huacatay paste, or 4 fresh mint leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Step 1: In a blender jar or the bowl of a food processor, combine all the sauce ingredients and process until smooth.
Step 2: Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed. The sauce should be very flavorful. Cover and refrigerate if not using immediately. Best when freshly made.
This sauce goes with Peruvian-Style Spit-Roasted Chicken.