Grilled Bok ChoySteven Raichlen
Grilled Bok Choy
- Yield: Serves: 4
- 4 small bok choy (1 to 1 1/4 pounds in all), each halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup dark (Asian) sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup mirin or sake (if using sake, add 2 teaspoons sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly and finely grated yuzu or lemon zest (optional)
- Vegetable oil for oiling the grill grate
- 1 tablespoon shichimi togarashi, or to taste
1: Combine the sesame oil, tamari, mirin, and yuzu zest (if using) in a small bowl and mix with a fork. Brush the bok choy on all sides with this basting mixture.
2: Set up your grill for direct grilling and heat to high. Brush or scrape the grill grate clean and oil it well.
3: Arrange the bok choy, cut sides down, on the grate, running on the diagonal to the bars of the grate. Grill until the cut sides are browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Brush the rounded sides of the boy choy with the basting mixture.
4: Turn the bok choy over and continue grilling until the rounded sides are browned, another 2 to 4 minutes, brushing the cut sides again with the basting mixture. Do not overcook; the bok choy should remain crisp in the center.
5: Transfer the boy choy to a platter. Spoon any remaining basting mixture on top. Sprinkle the grilled bok choy with shichimi togarashi and serve.