Grilled Hot Dog Challenge – The RecipesSteven Raichlen
Grilled Hot Dog Challenge – The Recipes
- Yield: Serves 1 to 2 hot dogs per person
- Method: Direct Grilling
For the hot dogs:
- 1 to 2 hot dogs per person
- Hot dog buns
- Butter, at room temperature
- Vegetable oil for oiling grill grate
- Spicy mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of sweet pickle relish
- 1 to 2 pinches of celery seeds (optional)
Italian Dog: (per hot dog)
- 1 to 2 pieces of very thinly-sliced prosciutto
- 3 to 4 mini mozzarella balls, each halved
- 3 to 4 fresh basil leaves
- Dijon mustard
Barbecue Dog: (per hot dog)
- 1 slice of bacon
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of your favorite barbecue rub
- 4 to 5 dill pickle chips
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
Reuben Dog: (per hot dog)
- 1 slice of Swiss cheese cut in half
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of drained sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon of Ukraine (see below) or prepared Thousand Island dressing
Ukraine Dressing (can be increased as desired):
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Avocado salsa (see below)
Avocado salsa (enough for 4-5 hot dogs):
- 1 ripe Roma tomato, quartered, seeded, and diced
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- Zest and juice of a half of a lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
You’ll also need:
- Basting brush, long grill tongs, toothpicks
1: Set up your grill for direct grilling and heat to high. While the grill heats up, prepare all the fixings for the hot dogs.
2: To prepare the Italian Dog, split it down the middle and fill with the mozzarella and wrap with prosciutto. Secure the prosciutto with toothpicks through the ends.
3: To prepare the Barbecue Dog, spiral a piece of bacon around it and season with barbecue rub.
4: To prepare the Avocado Dog, combine the avocado, red onion, tomato, lime zest and juice in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
5: To prepare the Reuben Dog make the Ukraine dressing, if desired, by combining all the dressing ingredients.
6: Lay out all the any other condiments you prefer, such as Swiss cheese, pickles, spicy and/or Dijon mustards, sweet pickle relish, etc.
7: Grill the hot dogs 2 minutes a side until the bacon and prosciutto are crispy and any cheese is melted. Baste the barbecue dog with the barbecue sauce while grilling.
8: To finish the hot dogs:
Traditional Dog: Place the hot dog in the bun and top with spicy mustard and sweet relish and garnish with celery seeds, if using.
Italian Dog: Place the hot dog in the bun and top with Dijon mustard and fresh basil leaves.
Barbecue Dog: Place the hot dog in the bun and top with pickle chips and additional barbecue sauce.
Avocado Dog: Place the hot dog in the bun and top with the avocado salsa and hot sauce.
Reuben Dog: Place the Swiss cheese in the bun, top with sauerkraut and Ukraine dressing.
9: Serve immediately.