Grilled Pound Cake with Berry Salsa and Tequila-Whipped CreamSteven Raichlen
Grilled Pound Cake with Berry Salsa and Tequila-Whipped Cream
- Yield: 8 servings
- Method: Direct Grilling
For the berry salsa
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and/or quartered strawberries
- 1/4 cup thinly slivered fresh mint
- 2 slices candied or peeled fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, or more to taste
For the tequila-whipped cream
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar) or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the cake
- 8 slices (3/4-inch thick) pound cake, lightly brushed with melted butter on both sides
Step 1: Make the berry salsa: Place the berries, mint, ginger, jalapeno(s), lime juice, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl but do not mix. The salsa can be prepared to this stage up to 2 hours ahead and refrigerated.
Step 2: Make the tequila-whipped cream: Beat the cream to soft peaks in a chilled bowl using an electric mixer, hand-held beater, or whisk. Whisk in the confectioners’ sugar, tequila, and cinnamon and beat until stiff peaks form. The tequila-whipped cream can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and refrigerated, covered.
Step 3: Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium high. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the cake slices on the grill at a diagonal to the bars of the grate and grill until lightly browned on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Give each slice a quarter turn after 1 minute to lay on a crosshatch of grill marks. Use a spatula to turn the cake slices. Transfer the grilled cake slices to a platter or plates.
Step 4: Toss the berry salsa to mix. Taste for sweetness, adding more granulated sugar and/or lime juice as necessary. Spoon the salsa over the grilled cake. Top each portion with a dollop of tequila-whipped cream and serve at once. Serve any extra whipped cream on the side.