Horseradish CreamSteven Raichlen
The secret to a great horseradish cream sauce is to grate the horseradish fresh. Look for horseradish in the produce section of most supermarkets or order it online from Melissas.com.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 piece (3 to 4 inches) fresh horseradish (½ cup diced) or ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann’s or Best Foods
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons heavy (whipping) cream or buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of drippings from the prime rib (optional)
- Coarse salt (sea or kosher) and freshly ground black pepper
Step 1: If using fresh horseradish, peel it with a paring knife and cut it into ½-inch pieces. Finely chop in a food processor. (Take care not to inhale the potent fumes.)
Step 2: Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, heavy cream, soy sauce, and meat drippings (if using) to the fresh or prepared horseradish and process or stir until smooth. Work in salt and pepper to taste.
Try this recipe with Rotisserie Prime Rib
Find This Recipe
A modern approach to grilling from Steven Raichlen, America’s “master griller” (Esquire). With 100 recipes, Project Fire shows how to put the latest grilling methods to work—from spit-roasting to salt-grilling—using favorite ingredients and adding a dash of daring in flavors, technique, and presentation.Buy Now ‣