Horseradish Slaw (Creamy with Poppyseeds)Steven Raichlen
Horseradish Slaw (Creamy with Poppyseeds)
- Yield: Makes about 1 quart: enough to serve 4 to 6.
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 small or ½ large savoy, green, or purple cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 carrot, peeled
Step 1: Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper (lots) and celery seed (about 1/2 teaspoon).
Step 2: Make the dressing. Place the mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, and poppy seeds in a large serving bowl and whisk to mix.
Step 3: Shred the cabbage and carrot in a food processor fitted with a slicing disk or thinly slice by hand. Stir into the dressing.
Step 4: Add salt, pepper (lots of pepper), and celery seed (about 1/2 teaspoon) to taste: the slaw should be highly seasoned.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.