Horseradish Poppy Seed SlawSteven Raichlen
Creamy, tart, and sweet with a nice horseradish bite, pile this Horseradish Poppy Seed Slaw on top of 3-2-1 Pork Shoulder.
Other Recipes from Episode 210: Shoulder On
Horseradish Poppy Seed Slaw
- Yield: Makes about 1 quart: enough to serve 4 to 6
For the dressing:
- ½ cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann’s or Best Foods
- 3 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar or to taste
- 1 small or ½ large savoy, green, or purple cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups finely chopped)
- 1 carrot, peeled
- Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper (lots) and celery seed (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1: Make the dressing: Place the mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, poppy seeds, and sugar in a large serving bowl and whisk to mix.
2: Shred the cabbage and carrot in a food processor fitted with a slicing disk or thinly slice by hand. Stir into the dressing.
3: Add salt, pepper (lots of pepper), and celery seed (about 1/2 teaspoon) to taste: the slaw should be highly seasoned.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 2:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2019 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein.