How to Season and Maintain Your Cast Iron PlanchaSteven Raichlen
• Before using your new plancha, wash it with warm soapy water and a plastic brush or scrubber to remove any factory grease or dirt.
• Dry well, then wipe it generously and evenly on both sides with vegetable oil or shortening.
• Heat the plancha in a grill set up for indirect grilling or bake it in a 300 degree oven until the oil is absorbed by the pores in the metal, 30 to 60 minutes.
• Wipe clean again with paper towels. You’re ready to go.
• After cooking on your plancha, cleaning is easy. While still screaming hot, pour a cup of water over the plancha and scrub it with your grill brush as the water evaporates. Repeat as necessary until the plancha is clean.
• Now drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil on the hot plancha and wipe it over and into the metal with a tightly folded paper towel held at the end of your tongs.
• Store your plancha in a dry place between uses. Repeat the above whenever the plancha needs re-seasoning.