Kobe Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeye with Schwank GrillSteven Raichlen
Kobe Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeye with Schwank Grill
- One 16-ounce Kobe Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeye
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- Fresh thyme sprigs
1. Preparing the Schwank Grill: Set up the Schwank portable infrared grill and heat it up. The grill can reach temperatures up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Seasoning the Steak: While the grill is heating, season the Kobe Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeye generously with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
3. Grate Adjustment:
- – The Schwank grill has three heat settings: top, middle, and bottom.
– Once the grill is hot, set the grate to the bottom level.
4. Cooking the Steak:
- – Place your seasoned Kobe A5 Wagyu Ribeye over the logo on the grate, which is in line with the burners.
- – Push the grate back in and move it up to position your steak about an inch from the burner.
- – If your steak is approximately three-fourths of an inch thick, cook it for 45 seconds on the top heat setting.
- – Lower the grate to the bottom level, slide it out, flip the steak, and return the grate to the top setting.
- – Cook for another 45 seconds. Adjust the cooking time if you have a thicker steak.
- – Sear on each side for 90 seconds and then let it finish cooking at a lower level until your desired internal temperature is reached.
5. Creating a Compound Butter:
- – While the steak is cooking, place a few pats of butter, smashed garlic cloves, and fresh thyme sprigs in the drip pan.
- – The butter will melt and create a compound butter as the fat renders from the steak, combining with the steak drippings.
- – Once your steak is done, give it a quick dunk into the flavored butter sauce that is perfumed with fresh thyme and garlic.
6. Resting the Steak: Let the steak rest for 5 minutes on a wire rack set over a sheet pan.
- – Slice the Kobe Japanese A5 Wagyu Ribeye into 1/2-inch strips.
- – Serve the succulent and flavorful steak with the compound butter.