Korean Fish Tacos with Sriracha SauceSteven Raichlen
Korean Fish Tacos with Sriracha Sauce
- Advance Prep: 30 minutes for marinating the fish
- Yield: Serves 6
- Method: Direct grilling
- Equipment: Flexible grill basket or wire grid for cooking the fish
For the Sriracha Sauce:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha (Thai hot sauce), or your favorite hot sauce
For the fish and marinade:
- 1/4 cup Korean chile/bean paste (gochujang)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 4 scallions, both white and green parts trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons Korean chile powder or hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds skinless grouper, halibut, or striped bass fillets
- Small corn or flour tortillas, for serving
- 1 1/2 cups prepared kimchi or very thinly sliced napa cabbage, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
Step 1: Make the Sriracha Sauce: In a small food processor or blender, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, cilantro leaves, lime juice, and sriracha. Blend until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until serving time.
Step 2: Make the marinade: Place the chile paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, garlic, sugar, chile powder, and pepper in a nonreactive mixing bowl and whisk to mix. Place the fish in a large resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over the fish. Turn to coat completely. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 3: Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat it to medium-high. Oil the grill basket or wire grid well with vegetable oil. Drain any excess marinade from the fish and discard the marinade. Arrange the fish fillets in a single layer in the basket and lock, or arrange the fish on the grill grid. Place the basket or grill grid on the hot grate. Grill the fish until the fish is white and translucent and breaks into firm flakes when pressed with a finger, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Step 4: Arrange the fish on a platter and serve with the tortillas, kimchi, lime wedges, and Sriracha Sauce.
Use an expandable grill basket to grill the fish.
Find This Recipe
The most ambitious book yet by America’s bestselling, award-winning grill expert whose Barbecue! Bible books have over 4 million copies in print. Setting out—again—on the barbecue trail four years ago, Steven Raichlen visited 60 countries—yes, 60 countries—and collected 309 of the tastiest, most tantalizing, easy-to-make, and guaranteed-to-wow recipes from every corner of the globe. Welcome […]Buy Now ‣