Korean Grilled Beef RibsSteven Raichlen
Other Recipes from Episode 303: Best Ribs Ever
- Spice-Rubbed Baby Back Ribs with Chipotle Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Lamb Ribs with Greek Yogurt Sauce and Fennel and Orange Salad
Korean Grilled Beef Ribs
- 3 pounds meaty beef short ribs (cut crosswise into 2-inch lengths)
For the marinade:
- 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white parts minced, green parts thinly sliced on the diagonal for serving
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (white sugar or honey are OK, too)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine or sake
- 1/3 cup Asian (dark) sesame oil, plus 2 tablespoons for basting
- 3 tablespoons gochujang (optional)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, for serving
For grilling and serving:
- 8 cloves garlic, skewered on toothpicks
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed
- 2 kiwi fruits, cut in half
- 1 cup kimchi, thinly sliced
- 1 head Boston lettuce, separated into leaves and washed
1: Butterfly and score the short ribs and arrange in a single layer in a nonreactive baking dish.
2: Make the marinade: Place the ingredients in a blender and puree. Pour the marinade over the ribs, turning to coat both sides. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
3: Set up your grill or hibachi for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
4: Arrange the beef ribs (the meat spread out) on the grate and grill until sizzling and browned on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Sprinkle the beef with the sesame seeds. Grill the garlic, scallions, and kiwi fruit halves as well.
5: To serve, cut the grilled meat into bite-size pieces with scissors. Cut the garlic cloves in half and cut the scallion into 1-inch pieces. Place pieces of beef, grilled garlic, scallion, kimchi, and kiwi fruit on the lettuce leaf. Roll it up and pop it into your mouth.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2021 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein