Lemon Brown Sugar Barbecue SauceSteven Raichlen
This sweet sauce gets a little tang from the lemon juice. If you’re cooking the ribs on a gas grill and want to compensate, the Liquid Smoke will help, but the sauce is fine without it.
It can be refrigerated for several weeks.
Lemon Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: 3 cups
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoky seasoning, such as Liquid Smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard, such as Colman's
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the ingredients (including the Liquid Smoke, if desired) in a medium nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until a thick sauce forms. Taste, and add lemon juice as necessary. Transfer the sauce to a bowl or clean jar and let it cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.