Maytag Blue Cheese SauceSteven Raichlen
Salty blue cheese makes a perfect foil for spicy chicken wings. But no bottled blue cheese salad dressing will do for Buffa-que Wings. The recipe here calls for America’s most famous blue cheese: Maytag Blue from Iowa.
Maytag Blue Cheese Sauce
- Yield: About 3 cups
- 4 ounces Maytag Blue cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann's)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea; optional)
Step 1: Press the blue cheese through a sieve into a nonreactive mixing bowl.
Step 2: Whisk in the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, onion, and pepper. It’s unlikely you’ll need salt (the cheese is quite salty already) but taste for seasoning and add a little if necessary. The blue cheese sauce will keep in the refrigerator, covered, for several days.