Mojo De AjoSteven Raichlen
This recipe is used with Mexican Grilled Trout with Mojo De Ajo (Fried Garlic Sauce) in Project Fire Episode 406: Water Meet Fire
Mojo De Ajo
- Yield: Makes 1 cup
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup sour orange juice or 4 tablespoons each fresh orange juice and lime juice
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
1: Heat the oil in a deep saucepan. Add the garlic and cilantro and fry over medium heat until the garlic begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Do not let brown too much, or the sauce will be bitter.
2: Immediately add the sour orange juice and 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Note:: To make the Cuban version of this sauce, add 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and dried oregano.