Mushroom Palooza – Grilled Beech Mushrooms with Sesame Soy ButterSteven Raichlen
- Chicken Wing, Shiitake, and Bell Pepper Kebabs
- King Trumpet Mushroom Poppers
- Pan-Roasted Oyster Mushroom with Coconut Milk and Mint
Other Recipes from Episode 308: Social Distance Tailgating
Mushroom Palooza – Grilled Beech Mushrooms with Sesame Soy Butter
- Yield: Serves 6
- Method: Direct Grilling
For the sesame soy butter:
- 4 tablespoons butter (salted or unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small bunch garlic chives, preferably with flowers, finely chopped; reserve flowers for garnish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons good-quality soy sauce or tamari
For the mushrooms:
- 1 1/2 pounds beech (hen-of-the-woods) mushrooms (6 good-sized clumps), cleaned
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1: Set up your grill for direct grilling and heat to high.
2: Make the sesame soy butter: On the side burner of your grill or on the stovetop, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of finely chopped chives, as well as the sesame seeds and soy sauce. Let the sauce simmer for 3 to 5 minutes to let the flavors develop. Set aside and keep warm.
3: Brush the grill grate and oil it well with vegetable oil.
4: Baste the tops of the mushroom clumps with the sesame soy butter. Arrange the mushroom clumps, top sides down, on the grill grate. Grill until the tops are sizzling and brown, about 3 minutes. In the meantime, baste the stems of the mushroom clumps (which are facing up) with the butter, then turn using tongs. Continue to grill until the mushrooms are tender, another 3 to 4 minutes, basting once more with the sesame soy butter.
5: Transfer the mushrooms to a serving platter or plates. Drizzle with sesame oil, then sprinkle with sesame seeds and the reserved garlic chive flowers. Serve immediately with any remaining sesame-soy butter.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2021 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein