New York Strip Steaks Stuffed with Caramelized Onions and GorgonzolaSteven Raichlen
New York Strip Steaks Stuffed with Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola
- Yield: Serves 4
- Method: Direct grilling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces gorgonzola or other mild blue cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 boneless New York strip steaks, each at least 1-inch thick
Step 1: Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet over a medium flame. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and sauté slowly, stirring often, until they are darkly browned, 15 minutes. (Lower the heat as needed.) Add the red wine and vinegar and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the liquids are reduced to a glaze. Transfer the onions to a bowl and let cool.
Step 2: Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
Step 3: In the meantime, slice a deep pocket into the side of each steak to accommodate the stuffing. Season the pockets and the outside of each steak with salt and pepper. Stuff each with caramelized onions and a slice of cheese.
Step 4: Grill the steaks until done to your liking and the cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let rest for 3 minutes before serving.