Nopalitos Corn SaladSteven Raichlen
Nopalitos Corn Salad
- 3 ears of fresh corn, husked
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 nopalitos (cactus paddles), spines trimmed away
- 2 poblano chiles
- 4 scallions, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Coarse salt (sea or kosher) and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ounces cotija or feta cheese, grated or crumbled
Step 1: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
Step 2: Brush the corn with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the corn, nopalitos, poblanos, and scallions until browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool. Cut the kernels off the corncobs. Cut the nopalitos into 1/4 inch dice. Seed and vein the poblanos and cut the flesh into 1/4 inch dice. Thinly sliced the scallions crosswise.
Step 3: Place the grilled vegetables, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and toss to mix. Correct the seasoning, adding lime juice and salt to taste. The salad should be highly seasoned. Serve the salad next to the pork, sprinkling each serving with cotija cheese.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Smoke Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2017 Barbacoa, Inc.