Peruvian Potato SaladSteven Raichlen
Peruvian Potato Salad
- Active Prep: 15 minutes
- Grill Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Method: Smoke-roasting
- 2 pounds baby fingerling potatoes (ideally a mix of red, white, and purple), scrubbed and blotted dry
- 2 scallions, trimmed, white parts cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces, green parts finely chopped and set aside for serving
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt (sea or kosher) and freshly ground black pepper
- Huancaína Sauce
Step 1: Set up your grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium-high.
Step 2: Cut any large potatoes in half or thirds so all the potatoes are the same size, that is, 1 to 1 1/2 inches. Place the potatoes and scallion whites in a disposable aluminum foil pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Place the pan with the potatoes in the center of the grill away from the heat. Add the wood chunks or chips to the coals. Cover the grill. Smoke-roast the potatoes until tender, 40 to 60 minutes. (Insert a bamboo skewer in one of the pieces to test for doneness: it should go in easily.) Stir the potatoes from time to time so they roast evenly. During the last 5 minutes, roast the potatoes directly over the fire.
Step 4: Transfer the potatoes in their foil pan to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Place in an attractive mixing bowl and stir in the Huancaína Sauce. Sprinkle with the chopped scallions greens and serve.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 1:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2018 Barbacoa, Inc.