Pickled NopalitosSteven Raichlen
Makes about 4 cups
- 4 nopalitos (cactus paddles), cleaned and diced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarse salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, or more to taste
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
1: Combine the nopalitos and cilantro in a medium nonreactive bowl.
2: In a medium nonreactive saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil over medium heat. Add the salt, sugar, garlic, red pepper, black peppercorns, and sage. Return the mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar, then pour over the nopalitos and cilantro.
3: Let cool. You can eat the pickled nopalitos in an hour, but they are best if allowed to marinate in the refrigerator, covered, overnight.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Planet Barbecue Season 1:
Steven Raichlen’s Planet Barbecue is a production of Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2023 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein