Episode 208: The Best BBQ You've Never Heard Of
Pit Beef Horseradish SauceSteven Raichlen
Here’s the basic horseradish sauce served at Baltimore’s pit beef parlors. To kick up the heat, use ½ cup freshly grated horseradish. (Start with a peeled 4 inch piece of root and finely chop or grate it in the food processor.)
Other Recipes from Episode 208: The Best BBQ You’ve Never Heard Of
Pit Beef Horseradish Sauce
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably Hellmann’s)
- ½ cup freshly grated horseradish (or prepared)
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1: Combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to mix. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or lemon juice to taste.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 2:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2019 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein.