Planet Barbecue™ Pastrami Bacon BLTSteven Raichlen
Planet Barbecue™ Pastrami Bacon BLT
- Active Prep: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 16 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2, but can be scaled up
- 6 slices Planet Barbecue™ Thick-Cut Pastrami Bacon
- 4 slices country-style white bread
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small bunch arugula, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
- 1 large luscious red or yellow ripe tomato, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 ripe avocado, halved lengthwise, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
1: Place the slices of bacon in a single layer in a cold heavy large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it is crisp and browned and most of the fat has melted out (rendered), about 6 minutes, turning the bacon over with tongs once the first side is browned (about 3 minutes). Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
2: Toast the slices of bread in a toaster until golden. Place the slices of toast on a clean dish towel (this prevents the steam from making them soggy). Spread each with some of the mayonnaise. Top 2 of the slices with arugula, then with slices of tomato, bacon, and avocado. Place the remaining 2 slices of bread on top, mayonnaise side down, and cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal before serving.