Pork T-Bones on a ShovelSteven Raichlen
Pork T-Bones on a Shovel
- Advance Prep: None
- Yield: 4 servings
- Method: Direct Grilling
- Equipment: A clean metal shovel; logs, wood chunks or chips; for a more pronounced smoke flavor, soak the wood chips or chunks in water to cover for 30 minutes, then drain them
- 4 pork T-bones (jumbo loin chops), each about 1-inch thick—2 pounds in all
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra oil for drizzling
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and cracked black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped stemmed fresh rosemary, plus a bunch of rosemary sprigs for serving
- Lemon wedges for squeezing (optional)
Step 1: Build a wood campfire with a good base of glowing embers. Feed fresh logs to the fire from time to time to generate plenty of wood smoke.
Step 2: Lightly brush the chops on both sides with olive oil. Season very generously on both sides with salt and pepper and crust on both sides with garlic and rosemary.
Step 3: Heat the shovel blade in the fire. This serves two purposes: It helps clean and sterilize the cooking surface and preheats the metal so it will sear the meat.
Step 4: Arrange the chops on the shovel blade, leaving an inch between each. Don’t overcrowd the shovel—it’s OK to work in several batches. Remember, in Australia grilling isn’t just about getting a meal to the table—it’s a whole evening’s entertainment. Thrust the shovel over the fire or lay it on the embers. Cook the chops until the internal temperature cooked to taste, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium, turning with tongs. Let rest for 2 minutes before serving. Carpet the serving platter with the whole rosemary sprigs and lay the chops on top. Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing.
Find This Recipe
The most ambitious book yet by America’s bestselling, award-winning grill expert whose Barbecue! Bible books have over 4 million copies in print. Setting out—again—on the barbecue trail four years ago, Steven Raichlen visited 60 countries—yes, 60 countries—and collected 309 of the tastiest, most tantalizing, easy-to-make, and guaranteed-to-wow recipes from every corner of the globe. Welcome […]Buy Now ‣