Episode 101: Argentine Fire
Salsa Criolla (Argentine pico de gallo)Steven Raichlen
This recipe is used with Wood-Grilled Rib Roast with Chimichurri and Salsa Criolla in Planet Barbecue Episode 101: Argentine Fire
Makes about 2 cups.
This colorful sauce is one of the two obligatory condiments served whenever Argentineans grill meat. At its most basic, it consists simply of diced tomato, onion, and red bell pepper. It also goes great with grilled beef.
Salsa Criolla (Argentine pico de gallo)
- 1 luscious ripe red tomato, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small or 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
1: Combine the ingredients in an attractive serving bowl and toss to mix. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste: the salsa should be highly seasoned.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Planet Barbecue Season 1:
Steven Raichlen’s Planet Barbecue is a production of Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2023 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein