Episode 309: Little Italy
Shrimp Spiedini with SalmoriglioSteven Raichlen
Other Recipes from Episode 309: Little Italy
Shrimp Spiedini with Salmoriglio
- Active Prep: 15 Minutes
- Grill Time: 4 to 6 Minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Method: Direct Grilling
- Salmoriglio for basting and serving
- 2 pounds shrimp, tail on, preferably wild-caught
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, peeled
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 pound small padron or shishito peppers
- 1 bunch sage leaves, stemmed
- 12 bay leaves or lemon leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
You’ll also need:
- flat bamboo skewers
1: Make the salmoriglio and set aside.
2: Wash and dry the shrimp.
3: Cut the onion in half widthwise (through its equator), then cut each half into quarters or sixths. (Discard the furry stem end.) Separate the onion into pieces, each about 1 inch. Trim to fit, if necessary.
4: Thread the shrimp, onion, peppers, padrons, sage leaves, and bay leaves alternately on the skewers. Brush each skewer with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush or scrape the grill grate clean and oil it well.
6: Grill the spiedini until browned and cooked through, 2 minutes per side, 4 minutes in all. Start basting the shrimp with the Salmoriglio after 2 minutes and baste on both sides. Arrange the spiedini on a platter or plates and spoon the remaining sauce over them.
Our thanks to the sponsors of Project Fire Season 3:
Steven Raichlen’s Project Fire is a production of Maryland Public Television, Barbacoa, Inc., and Resolution Pictures. © 2021 Barbacoa, Inc. Photos by Chris Bierlein