Singapore Beef SatesSteven Raichlen
Singapore Beef Sates
- Advance Prep: At least 3 hours for marinating the beef. As long as overnight. The longer, the better.
- Yield: 6 Servings (Appetizer); 4 Servings (Main Course)
- Method: Direct Grilling
- Equipment: 6- or 8-inch bamboo skewers; grill shield or aluminum foil (a 12- by 18-inch sheet folded in thirds like a business letter with shiny side out)
- 1 1/2 pounds rib-eye steaks, cut 1/2 inch thick
For the marinade:
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce or soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Step 1: Cut each steak, including the fat, into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a nonreactive mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, coriander, turmeric, cumin, pepper, fish sauce, and vegetable oil. Marinate the beef, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours and as long as overnight.
Step 2: Thread the beef cubes onto bamboo skewers, leaving the bottom half of each skewer exposed as a handle. The recipe can be prepared several hours ahead to this stage.
Step 3: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
Step 4: Arrange the sates on the grate, sliding the grill shield or folded foil under the exposed part of the skewers to keep them from burning. Grill until cooked to taste, 1 to 2 minutes per side for medium rare, a little longer for medium. (In general, Southeast Asians eat their sates medium to medium-well.) Serve with your favorite spicy peanut sauce.
The traditional way to eat sate is to skewer a piece of cucumber on the pointed end of the skewer, then dip the sate in peanut sauce.
Find This Recipe
The most ambitious book yet by America’s bestselling, award-winning grill expert whose Barbecue! Bible books have over 4 million copies in print. Setting out—again—on the barbecue trail four years ago, Steven Raichlen visited 60 countries—yes, 60 countries—and collected 309 of the tastiest, most tantalizing, easy-to-make, and guaranteed-to-wow recipes from every corner of the globe. Welcome […]Buy Now ‣