Singapore Cucumber RelishSteven Raichlen
Singapore Cucumber Relish
- Yield: Makes 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- 2 Kirby (pickling) cucumbers, or 1 medium-size cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and seeded (see Note)
- 1 shallot, minced (2 to 3 tablespoons), or 1 scallion, both white and green parts, trimmed and minced
- 1 small hot red chile, such as a bird or cayenne pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
Step 1: Cut the cucumber(s) into 1⁄4-inch dice.
Step 2: Place the cucumber(s), shallot, chile, rice vinegar, and sugar in a mixing bowl and toss gently to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The relish can be made up to 2 hours ahead.
Note: It is not necessary to seed Kirby cucumbers.
Serve with The Best Beef Sates in Singapore.
Find This Recipe
The most ambitious book yet by America’s bestselling, award-winning grill expert whose Barbecue! Bible books have over 4 million copies in print. Setting out—again—on the barbecue trail four years ago, Steven Raichlen visited 60 countries—yes, 60 countries—and collected 309 of the tastiest, most tantalizing, easy-to-make, and guaranteed-to-wow recipes from every corner of the globe. Welcome […]Buy Now ‣